Kentish KT

A Canadian living on the Isle of Thanet explores Thanet, Kent and beyond with DB and J-Rock.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sporty Activities

With the current situation at UK airports today we would certainly have had to rethink a lot of our packing. So our thoughts go out to anyone travelling from or into the UK today. Heathrow is closed as I write. No hand luggage allowed. J-Rock's hockey stick would have made it through since it had to be checked through in 'oversize'!!

Besides birding and mothing and playing guitars we have been playing a bit of 'footie' (football) and watching it on TV. The thing at the moment is the Champions League - we watched Haifa and Liverpool last night with Liverpool just pulling off a winner. J-Rock's friend I-Rock will be pleased to know that J-Rock was very disappointed with the result and wanted Haifa to win! Also, I-Rock should know that the Sport Watch keeps on ticking despite being immersed in salt water!

Literally ran into some members of the Thanet Roadrunners Athletic Club the other day. I plan on joining up with them in a few weeks once I am up to snuff. I want to run another marathon perhaps in the Autumn next year. In the meantime I'm gearing up for a 1/2 mara or a 10k. It's wonderful running here - good hills, lots of flat stuff and very scenic routes. When I trained for my first marathon in 2003 I ran all the way to Deal and back and would like to do that again.

And of course our bikes - I was down the town yesterday on me bike and all was just fine. It just takes a bit of practice manouvering the roundabouts - yikes.

We also plan to visit the Kent County cricket grounds in Canterbury in a few days to take in a Kent County Cricket Club game. And, there is an ice rink about an hour away at Gillingham where they play ice hockey. It looks a little pricey compared to Bill Bolton Arena!

Other than that we scored a Play Station and have been visiting boot fairs to pick up cheap games. At £0.50 a game it's not a bad deal. Although, I did find an NHL game from 2001 and made the mistake of paying £3.00 before I realized the others were paying a lot less. Live and learn. Here are some nice colours to enjoy...

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

Yikes on the airline situation!
Good on the running!
The first time we went swimming in Cambridge, we paid something like 12 pounds for the family to go in, but we discovered residents' cards that get you deals. Still not cheap, but a bit better.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great scenes! Exciting activities! And even technology! It's great to be an armchair traveller, with you as the guide, KT. Thanks for the ongoing, ever-exciting logging, blogging. M on the M

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home