Kentish KT

A Canadian living on the Isle of Thanet explores Thanet, Kent and beyond with DB and J-Rock.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Patterns in my Home

We are living in this lovely old somewhat rundown Regency building that was built in 1802 or so. Huge rooms, tons of architectural detail as you can see from these photos. My favourite is the fireplace with the children and the harp. Perhaps, it means something but I know not what. The ceilings are amazing too. Every morning I wake up to octagons and squares on the ceiling. And unlike She Who Knits better half I don't have to make any sense of them! Or is it hexagons he works with. Well, whatever. And I think those are roses in the corner.

Every flat has a different ceiling and flower which was dependant on who was originally living there. The original owners of our flat loved roses I guess. The flat next door has tulips. We also have an original coal burning fireplace. NOT good for the environment but I tell you it sure is the best way to warm up these big old rooms.

Also, this place has ghosts but we haven't told J-Rock! Mr. Freelander is familiar with this when he visited us many years ago in a flat below. He said he saw a man dressed in a big old coat and who looked like he was right out of Dickens! Mrs. Freelander was not convinced! But we knew better...

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

Ooooh, aaaaahhh. Just gild them and you'd be in Versailles. I love the big simple rectangle-in-octagon. And the pumpkin, of course!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh!! That's the place!! it was that encounter (I think it was Mr. Freelander) which persuaded me of well... you know. But I thought it was a woman at the end of the bed? Just goes to show how one's memory is a s good as playing a game of 'Broken Telephone' Such cool ceilings!! No wonder... bleeps... are hanging around!

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home